It is essential for the turbocharger of the engine to always be working properly. One of the things you should monitor the condition of the turbo actuator, the valve responsible for diverting exhaust gases from the turbine wheel to control the turbine’s speed and prevent over-speeding. It also ensures that the compressor’s speed is regulated. Certain signs will indicate when turbo actuator repair may be necessary. This can be the turbocharger kicking in at a lower speed, or suddenly halting when you are driving at high speed. In that case, it may need to be replaced or at least recalibrated. Here’s how you can test and replace the turbo actuator:
Testing the turbo actuator
Get a screwdriver and a diagnostic machine. Once you have these tools, you can start with the test:
- Turn off your vehicle and open the bonnet to locate the turbocharger on the engine. The actuator is the small compartment found off the side of the body of the turbocharger.
- Using your thumb, press the turbo actuator. If it moves under half an inch, that means it is in good shape. If it moves too easily or too much, then the actuator needs to be adjusted. You can also ask someone to switch the engine on while the hood is open, so you can observe the actuator. When the car is not in motion, the actuator must move (open) to release extra exhaust instead of delivering it to the turbocharger.
- If your vehicle can interface with the diagnostic machine, use it to diagnose the problem and determine if a turbo actuator repair is necessary.
Testing the turbo actuator is also helpful in identifying the optimal behavior of the turbocharger in the engine.
Replacing the turbo actuator
Replacement is necessary when the turbo actuator is malfunctioning. Here’s how to do it:
- Unscrew the bolts keeping it in place and remove the actuator clip with the screwdriver. The actuator should be easier to pry out after doing that.
- To install the repaired actuator, engage the clip, and bolt it in its place. Make sure the old and new actuator have the same arm length.
Autotronics is among the leading turbo actuator repair companies you can count on. We fix all problems related to the wastegate actuator, regardless of your car’s make or model. If you are not confident in testing the turbo actuator on your own, contact us and we will do it for you.